25th October 2021
5 Airbnb purchases to avoid
From leaking Airbnb beds to expensive TVs, there are just some items that you should avoid purchasing as an Airbnb host so you can save both time and money.
So what are these 5 items that, as an Airbnb host, you should avoid spending money on?
Airbnb purchases to avoid
Learnbnb recommends you should avoid purchasing the following items:
- Airbeds – Have you ever gone camping only to discover your Airbnb mattress has deflated in the middle of the night? I’m sure your answer is yes. That is exactly the reason you should avoid buying an Air bed as an ‘extra bed’ for your Airbnb. Plus, these Airbeds are very uncomfortable and can cause back and neck pain for your guest. I would just stick with a regular bed, or if you don’t have the space, then a comfortable fold-out couch would suffice.
- An expensive TV – unless you’re luxurious Luke and want to have a super top of the line luxury Bnb, there’s no need to shell out on an expensive TV. Just a regular one will suffice.
- Expensive art – similar to the TV, art does add a certain je ne sais quoi, but you do not need to buy expensive art. There are plenty of gorgeous inexpensive prints and even art from op shops that will add a certain sparkle to your Airbnb. Plus, expensive art runs the risk of being damaged or even stolen (and you don’t want to have to worry about that).
- Glass items – it should go without saying, but glass anything is a big no-no. Glass breaks very easily, will need replacing, can be expensive to replace, messy to clean up, and potentially result in a guest injury. Shatterproof options such as plastic are always a safe bet.
- Soap bars – soap is messy, sticky, needs constant replacing, and requires extra effort cleaning. A soap dispenser with bulk soap liquid for replacing is a much more practical option.
Purchases that can be made cheaper
- Furniture – such as dressers, tables, bedside tables, lamps (these could even be done up really nicely and given a new lease on life).
- Dishes and kitchenware.
- Bedding – sheets, blankets, bedspread (but you should only buy this bedding from an op shop if you can find good-quality bedding that your guests would be happy to use).
- Storage containers.
- Towels – these should also be good quality finds.
- Laundry machine + electronic appliances.
So make sure you cross these purchases off your Airbnb list because you do not want to waste your time and money on these purchases. And make sure you check out our previous article on The Beginner’s Guide to Airbnb Amenities for a list of basic Airbnb supplies you do need as an Airbnb host (and other supplies you can splurge out on if you want to).